Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Strange dreams

I’m…I’m still alive.  For now.  I don’t know how much longer I’ll be around, though.  I’ve been feeling sick again.  The fear is constant.  I feel like I’m about to snap.  I’m just a lost man clinging to his last few shreds of sanity.  This is completely unnatural.  Insane.  Crazy.  How can I stay sane when surrounded by things like this?

I’ve been having dreams.  But the weirdest one was last night.  It just seemed so…so vivid.  I’m writing it down so that I don’t forget it.

I woke up in the middle of the night.  There was an incredible amount of noise coming from downstairs.  Music.  It sounded like a party.  Now, I was terrified, but I was incredibly curious.  I started searching around downstairs for the source, and finally came across a trapdoor in a closet where the music seemed to be coming from.

I lifted it up and descended down the stairs below into a dimly lit, smoky cellar.  This was definitely where it was.  In the background, that faint music, repeating endlessly.  I warily walked through the smoke and stumbled across the most curious thing I’ve ever encountered…and one of the most disturbing.

There was a poker table, around which sat four unicorns in dapper suits.  As I stepped closer, I noticed that none of them had faces…only blank space where their eyes, noses, and mouths would be.  The dealer gestured to me, then to an empty chair.  Too stunned to do anything else, I sat, and picked up the hand that had been laid in front of me.

I picked it up, stunned at my hand.  Four aces.  I kept a straight face, though.  I’ve played my fair share of poker rounds, and I’m not too bad of a player.  I knew that I had the winning hand.

I looked a bit closer as we sized each other up.  The dealer, on close inspection…didn’t seem to be a unicorn at all.  It looked like something more humanoid, dressed in a unicorn mask and with fake hooves.  Why this man would pretend to be a unicorn is beyond me, though.

“All in,” said one unicorn (somehow).  Everyone pushed in all their chips.  I did as well.

One by one, they went around and revealed their hands.  The first unicorn revealed a hand of all jacks.  Another of all queens.  The third of all aces.  And the dealer revealed his hand: five faceless kings.

“You lose,” he said from where his mouth should have been.

Suddenly, blood started flowing from the tips of the unicorns’ horns, flowing down the horns and splashing onto the floor.  I looked down and saw that it was already an inch high.  I looked back at my hand and saw that I held them in not hands, but hooves.  The dealer held up a mirror for me, revealing that my face was that of a unicorn.

And then I woke up.

I can’t be sure, but I think I might know what that third, unknown figure outside is.

No comments:

Post a Comment